The Christmas season is a beautiful time of the year. Full of lights, Christmas cookies, family gatherings, and for some people, egg-nog. In the midst of all of the beauty of this season, there tends to be a tendency for our souls to slip into neutral; going through the motions and slowly losing the affection for God we once had.
So, as we enter this Christmas season let me encourage you to ask yourself six questions on a weekly (or daily!) basis:
- Is there an increasing awareness of God’s presence in everything you do?
- Do you find yourself desiring to linger in prayer or song or Scripture reading?
- Are God’s attributes and characteristics more concrete and productive in your heart, less abstract and impersonal?
- Is the Word of God fresh in your heart? Or is it a dead letter, a sign that you’ve been merely checking the devotional box on your to-do list?
- Is your day full of Godward prayers, supplications, requests, thanksgiving, and adoration?
- When life thrusts itself upon you again, and you must put down your Bible to make breakfast for your kids or head off to work, do you find yourself wishing you had a few more minutes?